An unconventionally historic New Orleans hotel, the Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery the latest incarnation of a building that began its life in 1854 as a warehouse serving the Port of New Orleans. Built in the heart of New Orleans’ bustling port district just steps from the French Quarter, it served as a coffee warehouse before being purchased by E.J. Hart & Company who operated a chandlery, or general wholesale business, trading in everything sailing ships needed to stock their voyages – from canvas and rope to paper, tobacco and patent medicines.
Prior to the turn of the 20th century when New Orleans renumbered its street addresses, the building’s address was 77 Tchoupitoulas Street. In a nod to this heritage, a reference to the role hotels serve in provisioning modern travelers and a tribute to the neighborhood’s artistic roots, the Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery takes its name from this original address. Starting with humble origins in New Orleans’ bustling port district, the Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery has undergone a transformation to create the one of the most exciting and best new hotels in New Orleans.